A new roof, whether for your home or business, is a major investment. If you’re currently looking to replace your existing roof, it’s important to keep several factors in mind, such as longevity, upkeep and style.
As one of the most durable materials on the market, metal roofing offers a great return on your investment for your home or business in Calgary. Not only are they stylish, metal roofs are resilient, customizable, energy efficient and increase the resale value of your home.
Maintaining your metal roof
As with all good roofing practises, it’s important to properly maintain your metal roof. And though it involves minimal upkeep, you’ll need to consider certain factors to determine what type of maintenance your metal roofing requires.
- System Type. There are two different types of metal roof systems. Architectural metal roofing is installed directly on to the roof decking and is usually made from thinner metals. Structural metal roofing, on the other hand, is designed to be part of the building structure and is made from thicker materials. It’s important to know your system type because damage to a structural metal roof, which also serves as the roof deck, could represent a potential safety hazard.
- Metal Type. The type of material you will use for your metal roof will determine what kind of maintenance it will require. For example, if your roof was installed using steel, which is prone to oxidization, you’ll have to routinely check for rust.
- System Design. The proper care of your roof will also depend on the system design you chose. Our metal roof shingles, flat seam panels, interlocking panels, and standing seam metal designs each have their own distinctive ways of being maintained and repaired, so it’s important to keep this in mind when tending to your roof.
Additionally, here are a few general tips to ensure the proper care of your metal roof:
- Clean your gutters often
- Make sure there are no trees or bushes rubbing against your metal roof
- Remove debris from your metal roof before it accumulates
- Do not overspray when painting your metal roof
Looking to replace your roof?
At Metalworks Canada Ltd, we currently offer a variety of elegant metal roofing that is durable, cost effective and weather resistant. With a wide range of metal types, profiles and colours, you’ll be able to personally customize your roof to fit the specific needs of your Calgary home or business.
Contact us today if you would like to learn more about our custom metal roofing services or if you would like make an appointment!